LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 17 18:33:32 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.NOV.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: language education

Isn't there a significant shift in language education policy between
West-European continental countries and Anglo-Saxon countries. I always have
been wondering why learning Spanish thoroughly is not mandatory for kids all
in Texas and in California.

An example of the opposition (cf. annexes below):

1. In an Utrecht school Turkish just failed to become one more of the many
mandatory languages to be learned (excerpts from the "NRC Handelblad"
archive index).

2. In the UK:    scrapping of compulsory foreign language learning
(text pasted from the Guardian website).

I guess the point is: when you belong to the group of the dominant language,
there is no "economical" need for investing in other languages.

Regards,

Roger

--- ANNEX 1 ---

http://archief.nrc.nl:/?modus=m&text=turks+taal&hit=2&set=2
Vmbo-school wil leerling verplicht Turks laten leren
Door onze correspondent
 UTRECHT, 10 NOV.  De rooms-katholieke St. Gerardus Majella mavo, een
vmbo-school in Utrecht, wil komend schooljaar dat in de eerste klas
leerlingen verplicht Turks gaan volgen. Het vak wordt vanaf het tweede
leerjaar...

http://archief.nrc.nl:/?modus=m&text=turks+taal&hit=1&set=2
Mavo ziet af van verplichte lessen Turks
Door onze correspondent
UTRECHT, 11 NOV.  De Utrechtse rooms-katholieke Gerardus Majella Mavo heeft
onder druk van de publieke opinie het voornemen ingetrokken Turks verplicht
te stellen als moderne vreemde taal in het eerste jaar. Dat zegt...

--- ANNEX 2 ---

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1086852,00.html

Language learning in steep decline

Lucy Ward, education correspondent
Monday November 17, 2003
The Guardian

Modern languages are in dramatic decline in English secondary schools and
universities, with a survey suggesting that 60% of comprehensive schools are
scrapping compulsory language learning as the government moves to make them
optional after 14.

A poll carried out for the government's own languages advisory body also
reveals a gulf opening between rich and poor in language learning.

The research shows an apparent trend for pupils to opt out of languages,
given the choice, with the majority of schools that have ended compulsion
saying that more than half of youngsters this year chose not to study them
after 14. In one school, nine out of 10 pupils opted to drop languages,
while others reported 11-year-old pupils refusing to work hard at the
subject because they knew they could opt out later.

German is being particularly badly hit, and French is also in decline,
though Spanish take-up has risen marginally.

Last night, Barry Sheerman, chairman of the Commons education select
committee, said a steep fall in language study was a matter of deep concern,
and that his committee would consider an inquiry.

He believed there was scope to reform language teaching, but warned against
reducing the pool of linguists so far that there were even fewer language
teachers in future.

The Confederation of British Industry also raised concerns over the
potential impact of fewer language students on the next generation of
teachers. It too suggested the problem might be the way languages are
taught, and urged moves to show young people the value of language skills,
including their effect on employment prospects.

Under the modern languages strategy, which comes into effect next September
but has been anticipated by many schools, languages will no longer be part
of the core curriculum for 14 to 16-year-olds, though schools will be free
to keep them compulsory. Half of those surveyed said they intended to retain
compulsory language study.

Ministers say the change, complemented by the introduction of a modern
language "entitlement" for primary children by 2012, simply acknowledges
that some teenagers would prefer to focus on vocational subjects and helps
avoid turning them off schooling.

Teresa Tinsley, assistant director of CiLT, the national centre for
languages - which advises the government and schools on language learning -
said the reform had never been intended to mean large numbers of pupils
giving up language study.

She said the survey showed some schools were introducing "hasty and
ill-considered changes" which would undermine their capacity to make
languages relevant. Schools needed to give pupils better guidance to ensure
they did not unthinkingly abandon the subjects, she warned.

According to the study, teachers are already worried that many bright
children are dropping languages, sometimes due to option clashes and more
"attractive" subjects.

The survey, compiled jointly by CiLT, the Association for Language Learning
and the University Council of Modern Languages, also reveals the policy is
having a disproportionate effect on poorer and lower ability pupils.

A total of 70% of schools surveyed with more than one in 10 pupils on free
school meals had made languages optional, compared with 31% of schools with
fewer children from low-income families. Two-thirds of schools where less
than half of pupils gained five good GCSEs have ended compulsory languages,
compared with 38% of higher-attaining schools.

Overall, 43% of the 146 schools replying to the survey have made languages
optional at 14.

Today's research, Language Trends 2003, identifies further problems in
higher education, where it says a "free-for-all" in languages is already
having "an alarming effect on national capability".

Three-quarters of universities have axed some language courses over the past
three years, with "disappearing languages" including French, Italian, Dutch,
Swedish and Arabic. Government departments are among employers short of
language graduates.

John Dunford, general secretary of the Secondary Heads Association, said the
decline of languages in schools was the inevitable consequence of making
them optional "without any constraints". The SHA wanted the government to
allow the subject to be dropped only in limited circumstances.

A Department for Education and Skills spokesperson said the teaching of
languages in primary schools would ensure pupils had a much greater
motivation for the subject at 14.