LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.17 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 17 18:35:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.NOV.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jenny Kool <j.kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.14 (13) [E/LS]

> Lowlanders:  Matjes herring is a staple at any Jewish deli.
> My wife cringes
> at the sight of me gorging myself of the filets.  Who needs
> caviar!  Sam

In 's-Hertogenbosch, in Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands, we always eat haring
at Aswoensdag (Ash Wednesday), the Wednesday after Carnaval, the first day
of Lent season. In between Carnaval and Easter, you're not supposed to eat
meat (as a Catholic), and you're not supposed to live too vividly and
excessively.
That's why we celebrate Carnaval for three days before this Lent season; to
drink and eat and be together with friends, and lots of life music. To get
enough energy to get through the Lent period.
At Ash Wednesday, after all the festivities, we come together to eat "haring
met rauwe ui" (herring with rauw onion) in the famous Dutch way, described
before. It slides through your troat, and softens your palate and troat, so
your voice will recover from three days of singing, talking, and laughing.
During the rest of the year, I (almost) never eat haring, but I am always
looking forward to Aswoensdag.

Jenny Huijben-Kool