LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Tue Nov 25 21:11:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
Archives: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.htmlThey are
doing something similar by Drentse Taol; They have stickers etc
which can be placed on shop windows etc.

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (02) [E]

Check out http://www.drentsetaol.nl

> (Might this be an example speakers of Zeelandic, Limburgish, Netherlands
Low
> Saxon, Scots, Appalachian and other minority language varieties ought to
> follow?)

Copyright-free is definately wrong wording. Royalty-free would fit
better. GNU/Linux (or just Linux) and GNOME free software projects. Free
here means free as in speech (often also called software libre) as
opposed to gratis - even though Linux and GNOME are also free of charge;
but they don't have to - and it is possible to buy linux and GNOME with
support etc.

News about Linux and GNOME for those interested:

http://nat.org/brooklyn-gnome-summit
- Slides from a recent GNOME conference; shows where GNOME is used!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/24/46NNdesktop_1.html

http://news.com.com/2100-7340-5108158.html?tag=nl
- Sun Java Desktop consist of SuSE Linux and the GNOME Desktop)

on a sidenote: Internationalized Domain Names are coming soon!
http://www.i-d-n.net/

Cheers, Kenneth (@gnu.org, @gnome.org)

> (3)
> Creation of a copyright-free Linux and GNOME desktops in Lowlands Saxon
(Low
> German) is underway. Help is needed, especially with creation of
terminology
> neologisms. Further information: Jürgen Lüters, Bremen, Tel. (0421)
493990,
> eMail: j.lueters at intranet-engineering.de, und Heiko Evermann, Tornesch,
Tel.
> (04122) 504 462, eMail: h.evermann at hawesko.de
>
> (Kenneth, is this the same effort you, and indirectly I, have been
involved
> in?)

Yes it is! unfortenately it is going very slow!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Kenneth (above):

> They are doing something similar by Drentse Taol; They have
> stickers etc which can be placed on shop windows etc.

That's great!  I believe there was (still is?) some effort like that for
Frisian in the Netherlands.  I think this is needed for LS also, if it
isn't being done already.  However, the badge thing is a different thing in
that it is a *personal* statement/signal identifying speakers and their
willingness to use the language.

> > (Kenneth, is this the same effort you, and indirectly I, have been
> > involved
> > in?)
>
> Yes it is! unfortenately it is going very slow!

Just my part or all of it?  ;)

Thanks for setting things straight, by the way.

Cheers!