LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Tue Nov 25 22:36:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources

> (2)
> Arne Bruhn of Moorege, Schleswig-Holstein, has created a small wearable
> badge carrying the sentence _Ik snack ok Platt_ ("I speak 'Platt' too").
>
> (Might this be an example speakers of Zeelandic, Limburgish, Netherlands
Low
> Saxon, Scots, Appalachian and other minority language varieties ought to
> follow?)

I know of similar actions for Limburgish with car stickers. I still have
some of them with "Ich kal ooch Limburgs". I don't think it became a big
success. You rarely see them on cars on the road.

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>

Check out http://www.drentsetaol.nl

> (Might this be an example speakers of Zeelandic, Limburgish, Netherlands
Low
> Saxon, Scots, Appalachian and other minority language varieties ought to
> follow?)

Copyright-free is definately wrong wording. Royalty-free would fit
better. GNU/Linux (or just Linux) and GNOME free software projects. Free
here means free as in speech (often also called software libre) as
opposed to gratis - even though Linux and GNOME are also free of charge;
but they don't have to - and it is possible to buy linux and GNOME with
support etc.

News about Linux and GNOME for those interested:

http://nat.org/brooklyn-gnome-summit
- Slides from a recent GNOME conference; shows where GNOME is used!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/11/24/46NNdesktop_1.html

http://news.com.com/2100-7340-5108158.html?tag=nl
- Sun Java Desktop consist of SuSE Linux and the GNOME Desktop)

on a sidenote: Internationalized Domain Names are coming soon!
http://www.i-d-n.net/

Cheers, Kenneth (@gnu.org, @gnome.org)

> (3)
> Creation of a copyright-free Linux and GNOME desktops in Lowlands Saxon
(Low
> German) is underway. Help is needed, especially with creation of
terminology
> neologisms. Further information: Jürgen Lüters, Bremen, Tel. (0421)
493990,
> eMail: j.lueters at intranet-engineering.de, und Heiko Evermann, Tornesch,
Tel.
> (04122) 504 462, eMail: h.evermann at hawesko.de
>
> (Kenneth, is this the same effort you, and indirectly I, have been
involved
> in?)

Yes it is! unfortenately it is going very slow!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Kenneth (above):

> They are doing something similar by Drentse Taol; They have
> stickers etc which can be placed on shop windows etc.

That's great!  I believe there was (still is?) some effort like that for
Frisian in the Netherlands.  I think this is needed for LS also, if it
isn't being done already.  However, the badge thing is a different thing in
that it is a *personal* statement/signal identifying speakers and their
willingness to use the language.

> > (Kenneth, is this the same effort you, and indirectly I, have been
> > involved
> > in?)
>
> Yes it is! unfortenately it is going very slow!

Just my part or all of it?  ;)

Thanks for setting things straight, by the way.

Roger (above):

> I know of similar actions for Limburgish with car stickers.
> I still have some of them with "Ich kal ooch Limburgs".
> I don't think it became a big success. You rarely see them
> on cars on the road.

That doesn't surprise me much.  Apparently the same thing happened with LS
bumper stickers.  That too can't be as effective as having a badge on your
lapel or sweater or bikini top or whatever.  People don't usually talk to
people they see in front of themselves in another car.  (It's certainly not
advisable in US cities if you value your lives.)  But if I wear such a
badge on my person and you, another speaker, need to talk to me anyway (or
don't need to, just feel like it, for that matter), you are invited to use
our common or preferred language, whereas you wouldn't be able to tell
otherwise, because we all hide behind the official power language façade.
This badge idea is also likely to be community building.  If I see a
stranger with a LS badge in the street or on a bus I am likely to say _Moin!
_ or _Wo gayt 't?_ to him or her, or we are at least likely to nod each
other a "hello" in passing or over a distance.

Cheers!