LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Tue Nov 25 23:49:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.11.25 (03) [E]

> That's great!  I believe there was (still is?) some effort like that for
> Frisian in the Netherlands.  I think this is needed for LS also, if it
> isn't being done already.  However, the badge thing is a different thing
in
> that it is a *personal* statement/signal identifying speakers and their
> willingness to use the language.

I know they did something similar for East Frisian. The only bad thing
with a badge is that most people don't like wearing badges. I like
sending a statement - but at the same time I would dislike wearing a
badge publically.

> > Yes it is! unfortenately it is going very slow!
>
> Just my part or all of it?  ;)

All of it. The people unfortunately need some kind of education about
their language - or the whole project will just make the language stand
out foolish

Cheers, Kenneht

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Kenneth,

> The people unfortunately need some kind of education about
> their language - or the whole project will just make the
> language stand
> out foolish

I agree, Kenneth, which is why I am often reluctant to participate.
Probably conditioned by past image problems and ridicule, some people
apparently think dealing with Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") is some sort of
joke and invites silliness.  Personally, I try to stay away from that sort
of company, unless there is reason to hope they can be won over.