LL-L "Morphology" 2003.10.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 1 14:34:08 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.OCT.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Morphology

Beste Jan en Alfred,

First please consider that in medieval Brabantish the third person singular
(both accusative and genitive) was often _en_ (~ihn (G)?) in an enclitic
position, e.g. "Men neempten gevangen..." ("Men neemt hem gevangen..." (D)).
Today we will still say:

"Pakt en vast!" ("Pakt hem vast!" (D))
"Eit en da ni gezeid?" ("Heeft hij dat niet gezegd?" (D))
"En eit da ni gezeid." ("Hij heeft dat niet gezegd." (D))

which shows both proclitic and enclitic usage (no longer restricted to the
acccusative and genitive case but also in the nominative case).

Something similar might have happened to "me" (B), "we" (D), "wir" (G),
because in medieval Dutch, the first person singular (only accusative and
genitive) was _mi_ (now "me, mij") and it seems as if the function of this
pronoun shifted likewise:

"Spele me(n) toës 't noste kië?" ("Spelen we thuis de volgende keer?" (D))
"Me spele (waëlen) toës 't noste kië." ("We spelen (wij) thuis de volgende
keer" (D))

The only difference is that "me" shifted from singular to plural (both first
person). So maybe this plural "me" is the same as the singular personal
pronoun "me, mij". Comparing the situation with South German dialects might
(dis)prove this argument. Has the Bavarian "miâ" for example ever meant "me"
(E)?

Another difference between standard Dutch on the one hand and Brabantish or
Flemish on the other hand is the fact that verbs are inflected on _t_ in the
2nd person plural, hence:

Dutch: "Jullie spelen"
= Brabantish: "Gaale spelt", "Ge spelt" (as is if it would be singular...no
doubt this is due to the old pronoun "ghi")
= German: "Ihr spielt"

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Luc (above):

> Another difference between standard Dutch on the one hand and Brabantish
or
> Flemish on the other hand is the fact that verbs are inflected on _t_ in
the 2nd
> person plural, hence:
>
> Dutch: "Jullie spelen"
> = Brabantish: "Gaale spelt", "Ge spelt" (as is if it would be
singular...no doubt this
> is due to the old pronoun "ghi")
> = German: "Ihr spielt"

In many Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects, especially in those of the
North Saxon group and of the Mecklenburg region, this _-t_ is applied to all
plural cases:

Wy speelt
Jy speelt
Sey speelt