LL-L "Folklore" 2003.10.01 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 2 00:20:11 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.OCT.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject:
Latha math, a Lowlanders;

I have a calendar. This calendar tells me an archaic English word every day
(one for Saturday and Sunday). I got an interesting one yesterday. Here it
is:

Tuesday 30 September
FETCH-CANDLE - The apparition of one who is alive. *Fetch-lights*,
*fetch-candles*, *corpse-candles*, or *dead-men's candles* are appearances
seen at night, as of candles in motion, supposed to portend the death of
someone. The superstition obviously agrees with the notion of the *Will
o'the wisp*, which is known in Holland by the name of the *dood-keerse*, the
death-candle. - Hensleigh Wedgwood's *Dictionary of English Etymology*, 1878

I'm wondering what you all make of it. Is this common in Lowlandic
countries? Is folklore like this still common in England? Anything else?

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Latha math, a Uilleam (a.k.a. "Night Owl")!

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German) of Germany, there are _spöyk-lichten_
(<Spööklichten> "spook lights"), namely will-o'-the-wisps, also known as
_elv-lichten_ (<Elflichten> "elv lights," "fairy-lights") and _ir-lichten_
(<Irrlichten> "erring lights," "misguiding lights").  I am not aware of
names linking them to corpses, though I wouldn't be surprised about such
connections in some dialects.

Yes, Halloween will soon be upon us.  Time to rummage in attics and
basements ...

Beannachdan,
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: What's going on? Don't people sleep any more in Europe? Creepy
thoughts will invade your minds if you stay up till all hours of the night
during the dark season.