LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.04 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 5 18:22:20 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.10.04 (05) [E]

Actually I don't know how good my source it - but it could be
interesting to look into.

> Do you have that on good authority?
>
> > I expect the Jutish æ could come from Frisian, since they use that in
> > North-Frisian (de -> 'e?)
>
> Why?  Lowlands Saxon (Low German) is "non-rhotic;" e.g., _eer_ (<ehr>)
> [?E:3`] ~ [?e:3`] 'her', 'their'.

Sorry what will you say with that?

Kenneth

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Sorry, Kenneth.  I had wildly jumped a step about in my mind, was thinking
of Jutish _æ_ = Standard Danish _er_ 'is', 'am', 'are' (which may not be
correct).  I had cought the wrong boat there.

Of course you may be on the right track asking if Jutish shift _æ_ for 'the'
may have been inspired by North Frisian (_de_ >) _e_.  I suspect that it
came from either Frisian (more likely?) or Lowlands Saxon (Low German),
given that it is atypical for North Germanic, which has cliticized definite
articles (Standard Danish _-en_, _-et_) where in West Germanic varieties an
article directly precedes a noun (e.g., LS _dat huus'_, Dutch _het huis_, W.
Frisian _it hûs_, Scots _the hoose_ = Danish, Norwegian, Swedish _huset_,
Icelandic _húsið_ 'the house').

Hilsen,
Reinhard/Ron

-----