LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 5 19:00:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.04 (02) [E]

Gary Taylor wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> a lot of you have spoken about finding a standard
> writing system for Low Saxon and Scots - and indeed
> North Frisian could fit into this category. There are
> enough speakers of these languages out there on this
> list. Why don't you try and work something out between
> you. A start would be to make a list of the different
> phonemes (sounds) in your own dialect with plenty of
> examples for each and then comparing the differences
> with other speakers.

I have done such and a exercise for Scots. Of course there’s dialects (or
where dialects goes over into another) where differences is often hard to
predict or my know of the subject is wanting.

Look to it at http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/pronunci.htm#cairt

You can click on the map or the list below an see examplars of  (the main
phonetic makes of) differing dialects showing how the self same othography
might can represent differing predictable pronunciations founded on the
graphemes used. This is not my ‚invention’ but founded on what’s gone
before.

<snip>

R. F. Hahn wrote:

<snip>

> Opponents may argue that this type of orthographic differentiation would
> amount to some dialects burdening the speakers of other dialects with
> written differences that do not exist in the phonologies of the latter.
> This is where it becomes politically interesting, in my opinion.  What do
> our Lowlanders think about it?  Should differentiation be dictated even
> where it exists only in a minority of dialects?  Or should it be played as
> numbers game?  Remember that orthographic non-differentiation is likely to
> lead to generalized phonemic non-differentiation.

Would not this just have the offcome that differing graphemes that might
coud  be pronounced the same way in some dialects be different in others.
The offcome  might could be an orthography where there’s no longer a ‚one
pronunciation - one grapheme’ correspondence  but all the same if these
differences is predictable and not over many, surely they would be
teachable/learnable. I have the impression most standardised orthographies
functions in a similar way. You raise some matters of concern regarding this
and all, but in so doing you address the possibilities of redressing it in a
pragmatic manner. But then again Ron you have always mentioned thinking
outside the box’ (or something such like).

Andy