LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 6 16:49:44 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.04 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L wrote:

Ron wrote:

Folks,

I'm wondering about the Finnish word _nakki_

Ron and the rest of you lekkerbekken,

The confusion that reigns in the realm of names for foodstuffs in different
languages fascinates me world without end. Especially among the houshold
plants belonging to the genus Brassica, when they cross language borders.
Maybe a bothanist among us could make a little study of the variable names
thereof in Lowladic languages and beyond. I could give examples of the
Finnish names.
But on with the nakki, a children's favourite course with mashed potatoes in
Finland. I'd like to quote Jaakko Rahola, an illustrious gastronome among
other things. Have a look:
<http://www.kolumbus.fi/rahola/index.html>
"The name nakki is derived from the German Knackwurst, "the snapping
sausage". In America the name has sometimes been corrupted to Knockwurst.
The name in Swedish of course is knackkorv, but rather seldom used there.
The counterpart in Stockholm of our domestic nakki-stands still quite
recently used to be the varmkorvgubbe(hot sausage fellow) walking the
streets with an thermically isolated box against his belly - the hot
sausages have nowadays been replaced by hamburgers and kebab. The rest of
the world usually speaks of  frankfurters, sausages usually somewhat longer
and thinner than our nakki and with a very thin and brittle skin. The
Austrian Wienerwurst is of the same type. In England the most common
everyday sausage is the pork based banger, whose name obviously has the same
origins as that of nakki."
It may be the special snapping quality of the sausage that delights the
kids.
Another Finnish sausage story: There is a type of sausage, a fresh product
that you must cook and that makes a very good soup, siskonmakkara, litarally
transalated "the sister's sausage". The first part siskon of the name is
however ultimately derived from the French saucisse orsaucisson.Thus "the
sausage sausage".
About eating (and drinking of beer, juice or coffee) in sauna, it's mainly
done in the adjacent cool chamber existing in most saunas. The sausages
however often are warmed up wrapped in aluminium foil on the pile of hot
stones, the kiuas of the sauna proper.

Gourmaunt greetings

--
Antero Helasvuo
Luutnantinpolku 9 C 20

TEL (fax on demand) +358 9 5872345
antero.helasvuo at welho.com

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Hei, Antero!

Thanks for the response (above).

Those little beauties are favorites among German children also.  The sound
may have something to do with it.  The sausage purist will tell you that
_Wiener(wurst)_, _Frankfurter_ and _Knackwurst_ are different creatures
though ...  But that's all right.

Cheers!