LL-L "Help needed" 2003.10.06 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 6 17:10:18 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2003.10.04 (14) [E]

Hi!

>>From wim verdoold   wkv at home.nl    about the word "tho gade" that  would
mean in  older  dutch  together...i think, and  not on the road...
Maybe I'm wrong..

Wim.

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Help needed"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Help needed
>
> Folks,
>
> I need help with a Middle Saxon text (Jacobus de Voragine: “Olauo,”
> _Passional_, Basel, 1517):
>
> <text>
> Olauus was ein köninck in norwegē : do he noch ein heidē was / uñ
> in engelāt
> dē christēlouē gelert hadde / leet he sik döpē in d’ stat Rowā.
> Uñ so drade
> alse he gedöft was / nā he sik an der apostole amhacht / uñ predikede auer
> dat gāntze lāt yn Norwegē / uñ ok in and’ vele lādē / dar he mit syner
> predikie ein untellich volk tho gade brochte.
> </text>
>
> My tentative translation:
> <text>
> Olaf was a king in Norway. When he was still a heathen he studied the
> Christian faith in England and had himself baptized in the city of Rowan.
> And as soon as he was baptized he acquired apostolic office and
> preached all
> over the land of Norway and also in many other lands where he
> brought untold
> numbers of people onto the streets.
> </text>
>
> Is or was there a city called Rowan in England, and is it there that St.
> Olaf was baptized?

Ron,

My atlas doesn't turn up anything that could have been called a city in
England resembling the name "Rowan" in the slightest.

But I notice that the text doesn't actually say that Rowan is in England. Is
it possible that Olaf studied Christianity in England then went to Rouen to
get baptized by some pope or other?

The following text seems to clarify the matter:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11234a.htm

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

Ron,

St. Olaf was baptised in Rouen in France.

Regards,

John
Preston, UK.