LL-L "Etymology" 2003.10.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 7 17:52:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.OCT.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.06 (05) [E]

> From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.04 (16) [E]

> I'm wondering about the Finnish word _nakki_
>
> Ron and the rest of you lekkerbekken,
> "The name nakki is derived from the German Knackwurst, "the snapping
> sausage". In America the name has sometimes been corrupted to
> Knockwurst.

In Flemish the words "knak /  knok" exist.  They mean  somethinng that
is broken, a corner, a knack...
We have a town called "Knokke".
Meany roads are "winding" in Flanders, and in the corners, one  can see
  meany times a pub with the name "In de Knok".
The sausage you mentioned  is called "ne knakworst", "Weense worstjes"
or "Frankfurter".

Groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

So, Luc, you think it is possible that American English "knockwurst"
['nɑkwɚʀst] / ['nQkw@`Rst].  I suppose there is that possibility, and we
should always be open to it, that this and other words entered American
English through "Dutch," which oftentimes may mean Zeelandic, Flemish, etc.

I am sure the average American associates "knockwurst" with "to knock" ("to
know off" = 'to eat up' perhaps?), just as most of them associate
"hamburgers" with "ham" (even though a normal hamburger does not contain
ham) rather than with the city of Hamburg (which many may not even know
exists, judging by the latest reports on geographic knowledge).

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German), _knakken_ (<knacken> /knak+n/ [knak=N])
means 'to crack', 'to break (open)' (German _knacken_).  Related are the
nouns _knakken_ (<Knacken> /knak+n/ [knak=N]) 'broken-off piece (of wood)',
'knag', 'gnarl', 'knurl', '(large) nob', 'chunk' (German _Knacken_), and
_knaks_ (<Knacks> /knak+s/ [knaks]) 'crack', 'break', 'chip'.   _Knacks_ is
used in German also (certainly in Missingsch), but I have a hunch that it is
a LS loan.  (LS has the deverbal and deadjectival noun suffix /-s/,  as in
_warms_ (<Warms> /varm+s/ [va:ms]) 'warmth'.)

_Knakken_ is often used as is English "chunk," e.g., _'n knakken broud_ (<'n
Knacken Broot>) 'a chunk of bread', as opposed to _'n stük broud_ (<'n Stück
Broot>) 'a piece of bread', or _'n schyv' broud_ (<'n Schiev Broot>) 'a
slice of bread'.

_Knaks_, usually referring to a crack (e.g., in a cup), may also be used to
refer to some sort of damage in a wider sense, especially with reference to
mental states; e.g. _Myn glouven het 'n knaks_ 'My belief is (somewhat)
shaken', _Dey deyrn het 'n lütten knaks weg_ 'The girls has a bit of a
mental problem' ("has gotten a little chip," usually inferring psychological
trauma).