LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.07 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 7 22:16:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.OCT.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.07 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:

> ... The main stumbling blocks to
> acceptance are prejudice and suspicion, based on a deep-seated sense of
> fear -- fear of new things and fear of failure -- deflected by blaming
> external forces, such as the evil scientists that want to tinker with
stuff
> and burden people with learning, and blaming all those people out there
> deemed likely to tear one's written work to shreds.

Oh dear. You're not usually this judgmental... but we all have issues we get
passionate about, and this seems to be one of yours. Forgive me for saying
this, but you're dishing out blame just the same.

I can't imagine anyone who would reject a uniform Lower Saxon spelling out
of "fear of new things and fear of failure". But I can easily imagine many
people who don't want their own local version of Platt "mixed in" with those
of other areas, because it's THEIRS, an old comfortable slipper that fits
them nicely. Maybe that's a good metaphor for those "closet" Lower Saxon
speakers anyway - they wouldn't dream of getting themselves a different pair
of slippers, not even a newer version of the same model - but they also
wouldn't dream of wearing them outside the house.

I'm not saying that's a good thing. But that seems to be the way it is.

Gabriele Kahn