LL-L "Language politics" 2003.10.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 8 14:49:21 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Language use

Beste Uilleam,

When I read your remark:

>Indeed,similar to your situation, Ron, with the Low Saxon speakers, some of
the
>most virulently against Gaelic are of Highland ancestry themselves. It's a
>sad, sad situation.

I had to think involuntarily of the linguistic situation in Brussels, where
in the past quite often the most militant anti-dutch-speaking citizens were
of Flemish, Brabantish or Limburgish descent.

Utterly sad indeed.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx