LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 8 14:53:40 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Orthography

Beste Gabriele,

When you write

>But I can easily imagine many
>people who don't want their own local version of Platt "mixed in" with
those
>of other areas, because it's THEIRS, an old comfortable slipper that fits
>them nicely.

I think I understand your point of view. Everybody thinks he/she is
particular and special (and in some way, we all really are different after
all), but at the same time, there is something "bigger" that unites us too.
During the Middle Ages, in Brabant, most people's range of action was
limited to 20 km, because this was roughly the distance they could cover on
foot (round trip = 8 hours walk). Anything further than 20 km, was "the
great beyond" and going there was like crossing the "final frontier" and
moving into "outer space". Linguistically, everything usually remained
stable during one's lifetime. Yet, today, traffic is much more intense and
this dynamic situation will surely urge many people to "retire" and create
their own cosy nook where they can be "themselves". Using their mother
tongue of course. Fine, no problem. But maybe we can make this person feel
less lonesome, if we're able to show him that his personal language has
similarities with languages that are spoken in faraway places he has never
heard of. Sure, this won't alter his language immediately (I wouldn't want
to do that), but it might improve his attitude (towards "alien" influence);
and this I consider a noble ambition for everybody. Science always has two
sides, an analytic and a synthetic approach. The first method stresses
differences and can be very discriminating, the second one wants to separate
the essentials from the details, searching for the "Leitmotiv".
Both are necessary. Just like male/female or yin/yang they are complementary
I think.

>Maybe that's a good metaphor for those "closet" Lower Saxon
>speakers anyway - they wouldn't dream of getting themselves a different
pair
>of slippers, not even a newer version of the same model - but they also
>wouldn't dream of wearing them outside the house.

This reminds me of China. Quite a lot of people used to wear their pyjama's
in the streets...and their slippers as well of course. I've even seen people
have lunch in good restaurants wearing their night gear!
Why not? *s*

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.06 (12) [E]

Moin Lowlanders!

> Hmmm ...  and the <h> is supposed to be a trace of the old /g/?!  I dunno

It is. The "g" going to be pronounce like "h" made the "n" vanish (in High
German: Nasalschwund vor Spiranz). In the imperfect the "g" remained and
with it the "n".

> But isn't /daan/  [dQ:n] ~ [do:n] the past participial form ('done'), and
> the infinitive ('to do') is /doun/ [do.Un]?

You are quite right. As a matter of fact I'm writing "doon" when using the
infinitive.

By the way: "Bescheidenheit ist eine Zier, doch weiter kommt man ohne ihr."
(Being modest is an ornament, but you get further without it.)

Greetings from Kiewl,

Anja