LL-L "Etymology" 2003.10.09 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 9 15:34:48 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: ezinsser at tiscali.co.za <ezinsser at tiscali.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.10.08 (09) [E]

Ron and all,

I understand what you're getting at. I thought the shift from k to an
aspirated h would be
a given in terms of Grimm's law.

Cheers,
Elsie Zinsser

> Something like this appears to have happened indeed.  Consider (assumedly
earlier)
Germanic _hana_ > Finnish _kana_ 'hen' (cf. German _Hahn_, LS _haan_, Danish
_hane_,
Swedish _hane_ 'rooster', German _Henne_, LS _heen_, Danish _høne_, Swedish
_hona_,
_höna_ 'hen') vs. (assumedly later) Germanic *_hana_ > Finnish _hana_ 'tap',
'faucet',
'spigot' (cf. German _Hahn_, LS _haan_, Danish _hane_ 'tap', 'faucet',
'spigot').

> Unfortunately, I can't find a comparative Finnic, Finno-Ugric or >Uralic
index online
that could shed light on this.