LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.10.11 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 11 10:13:21 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.October.2003 * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Idiomatica"
Van: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 6:28 pm

> As for Canada, I, too, am very interested in how people express
> themselves.

Uiliam, I have only been to Montreal once, but they seem to stick to the
French model of saying "Je l'adore" for "I love it." They seem to stay with
standard French outlooks, although they make Americans look like stodgy
jerks. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have never seen anyone sit on a
bench and talk with a perfect stranger. I mean a truly perfect stranger. In
Montreal, we were sitting at a bench near our downtown hotel when a bag lady
sat down. She was a good-hearted lady whose luck had been crap for many
years. She wore plastic bags as shoes, which would be absolute hell on
Montreal's uneven rues et chemins. Imagine that in Snotsdale! (That's the
slang word for Scottsdale that folk from other parts of the valley use.)

Ben

------------------

Van: "jannie.lawn" <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 9:51 pm

Hai everyone,

Uilleam Og mhic Sheumais wrote:
Recent discussion has brought something to my attention; the usage of the
words
"love", "like", and their various connotations in various languages
(obviously,
Lowlandic ones!). For example, English has the verbs to love and to like.
To love is
used, depending on its tone and its context, to mean romantic love,
platonic love,
and love for activities or things. To like is used mainly for people,
activities, or
things. That's here in New England, that is.

Here in the UK, I have learned the following distinction between 'to love'
and 'to
like', when it refers to people: to love someone is seeking what is best
for a
person, to do them good.  To like a person means that you appreciate and
feel good
about e.g. who they are, their attitudes, the way they do things.  So,
when I am
told to love my enemies, it doesn't mean that I have to like them, their
attitudes
or the way they act.  (And I never use the word 'love' for things.)

I also believe that there is a difference between 'being in love' and
'loving a
person': I have recently read a good book, 'The Five Love Languages' (by Gary
Chapman).  In it, the author makes a clear distinction between the 'in love'
experience and real 'love.  The first, 'in love', is to do with a romantic
notion
and, so they say, lasts usually only up to c. 2 years.  They say that some
psychologists concluded that this should not be called 'love' at all.  The
second,
'love', is based on a decision, can be worked on and therefore can last
forever.

Groeten van Cambridge, UK
Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra