LL-L "Etymology" 2003.10.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 13 13:10:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.October.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Etymology"
Van: "Holger Weigelt" <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Datum: Za, 4 januari, 2003 5:20 am

> But it still remains obvious, that indeed all toponyms in Flanders,
> which have a "knok"-name, are slightly elevated points in the landscape
> which surrounds them.
> What about the word 'knoken' which means ' knuckels'. The "knoken" of
> the hand seem to me the slightly elevated points where fingers "touch"
> the back of the hands.
>

> denis dujardin
> flanders

Hello !

I didn't follow this "etymology" topic but when I just read the above
posting I was remembered of the "Knock" a landscape on the North Sea shore
just above the town of Emden in Eastern Friesland. It is a point where the
coastline bends in a sharp angle nearly forming a peninsula. Not an elevated
point but an exposed as well.

Greetings
Holger

---------------------

Van: jmaguire at pie.xtec.es
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 2:03 pm

Hello Denis / Luc / All,

I wonder if the Scots Lallans word "knowe" which means 'knoll,
hillock, hillside' is related to the "knok-name" structure for
toponyms signifying that they lie on higher ground.

For example there is hillock dominating one Scots village which
the locals call "the cockie(?) knowe" which translates - badly -
as the fine-looking knoll.

Regards,

Tom

------------------------

Van: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 6:17 pm

Grim's Law

Unfortunately I have never heard of Grim's law. Has it to do with the fact
that dialects will develop under certain circumstances?

Ben

-----------------------

Van: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 6:29 pm

> Elsie Zinsser wrote:
>
>> Yes, reminds me of the 'neuk' in Muckleneuk (Pretoria) which
>> presumably
>> means hill.
>
> Could that perhaps be Scots Muckle = 'big', 'large' and Neuk = 'a
> projecting
> point of land', 'the corner of a building or street', 'an outlying or
> remote
> place'?

Hi Elsie,
In my Flemish language we know the word "neuken"(also
nucken/verneuken), which means to give someone a big push (to knok).
We don't use it any more because of the Dutch meaning of the word (to
fu..). It means also to make jokes, to tease...
A "neuker" is an iron band.
Wegneuken( = een neukinge geven)= to push somebody away .

> Ron and all,
>
>> Anything to add?
>
> Yes, what about 'kuni' -old german- as in the first name (Kunigunde)
> meaning
> tribe/folk/kinship?

In Dutch we still use the expression "van beiderlei kunne" (= man and
women)

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

------------------------

Van: "jannie.lawn" <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 4:28 pm

Hai everyone
Ron replied to Antero: Secondly, the _hana > kana_ transformation might be
due to
the Russian influence, compare Hitler>Gitler and _galanda_ = Dutch. Later.
I'm not sure if I will buy this one.  It's supposed to be a very old loan.
Also,
Russian would have had to borrow the word first (> *_???(?)_ [*gan(a)])
and then
pass it on to Finnish (> _kana_).  I don't think there is any evidence of
that.

But, if I remember correctly from a book I read as a child, wasn't
Karelie/Finland
at one time under Russian rule?  Could that have been sufficient to
influence some
words and alter their pronunciation?

Groeten ,
Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra