LL-L "Delectables" 2003.19.16 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 08:51:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.October.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Delectables"
Van: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)

> Here in Seattle, especially in coffee shops and at espresson stands, they
> sell a type of cookie that is very similar to the _Amerikaner_.  It is
> sometimes described as "old-fashioned Americans" or such, as "sugar cookie"
> or as "cardamon and sugar cookie."  The only difference is that it is
> somewhat thicker and has a very noticible cardamon flavor.  The two-colored
> sugar glasing is the same.  So, perhaps the _Amerikaner_ is based on an
> old-style American recipe after all.

I don't think so, since the dough is very different. Amerikaner are not made
of cookie dough, but of a special mix that used to incorporate ammonium
carbonate. It's more like a thick doughnut batter that is baked rather than
fried. I'll rummage around for the recipe.

Gabriele Kahn

-----------------------

Van: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>

Ron wrote:
>Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!

Luv ya Ron.  Thanks an all the best to all Lowlanders on Canadjun
Thanksgiving, eh?  http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p2614.htm

-----------------------

Van: "Shirley Wyatt" <ladyarabian at msn.com>

> ... and bakeries all over Germany sell Berliners, Americans and
Florentines.

> While living in the USA, I would always bake Americans for our
neighbourhood
> party on July 4th, hee hee. It was priceless to see their faces after they
> bit into one of them and asked, "hmm, this is good - what is it?".
>
> Gabriele Kahn

Hi,
Could you share your recipe?  It would be interesting.
Shirley Loeschen Wyatt

--------------------------

>> It occurs to me that in Hamburg they eat frankfurters and in Frankfurt
>> they eat hamburgers.
>
> ... and bakeries all over Germany sell Berliners, Americans and
> Florentines.
>
> While living in the USA, I would always bake Americans for our
> neighbourhood
> party on July 4th, hee hee. It was priceless to see their faces after
> they
> bit into one of them and asked, "hmm, this is good - what is it?".
>
> Gabriele Kahn
>
> ----------
>
> Here in Seattle, especially in coffee shops and at espresson stands,
> they
> sell a type of cookie that is very similar to the _Amerikaner_.  It is
> sometimes described as "old-fashioned Americans" or such, as "sugar
> cookie"
> or as "cardamon and sugar cookie."  The only difference is that it is
> somewhat thicker and has a very noticible cardamon flavor.  The
> two-colored
> sugar glasing is the same.  So, perhaps the _Amerikaner_ is based on an
> old-style American recipe after all.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi Gabriele  and Ron,
All the bakeries in Flanders sell "Boules de
Berlin"(Berliner/Berliijnse bollen). According to the traditions,only
on wednesdays. I think it has something to do with the war, but i'm not
sure.
It is a round sort of a cake with confectionerscream.

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene