LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.10.16 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 15:08:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.August.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Mari Sarv" <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts"/"Etymology": kala, kana, vaal, hani, nukk

I searched up my study notes and found following:
_kala_ 'fish' is not only Finno-Ugric, but even Uralic root
as Tapani said, _kana_ 'hen' is considered to be Germanic
loan in Baltic-Finnic from the period ca 1300-500 BC
as well as _vaal_ 'whale'.

We do have the word _hani_ 'goose' < *hanhi which derives from Baltic
*šanši (older than Germanic influence). Is the Baltic form somehow related
to Germanic?

> Onderwerp: "Etymology"
> Van: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
> Datum: Do, 9 oktober, 2003 11:45 pm
>
> Hi Luc,
>
> But it still remains obvious, that indeed all toponyms in Flanders,
> which have a "knok"-name, are slightly elevated points in the landscape
> which surrounds them.
> What about the word 'knoken' which means ' knuckels'. The "knoken" of
> the hand seem to me the slightly elevated points where fingers "touch"
> the back of the hands.

In Estonian there is a word _(mäe)nukk_ which means exactly the same in
landscape, and it is common component of somatic composita, like sõrmenukk
'knuckel', õlanukk 'shoulder(top)', küünarnukk 'elbow(top) etc.

Regards,
Mari Sarv

> Onderwerp: "Language contacts"
> Van: Patrick or Cynthia Karl <pkarl at grasshoppernet.com>
>
> >From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> >Subject: Language contacts
> >
> >I added:
> >
> >Note also the supposedly Germanic-derived Finnish and Estonian word for
> >'fish': _kala_.  This is supposed to have been derived from the
Germanic
> >word for 'whale', thus originally probably something like "large fish"
or
> >"ocean creature" for the Finnic ancestors who had arrived from the
Volga