LL-L "Names" 2003.10.17 (12) [E/Gaelic]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 17 23:11:10 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.OCT.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2003.10.17 (11) [E]

Latha math, a Ron;

You said:
>Sam:
>> An aside:  What's the significance of the slash in your name?
>It means "or" or "interchangeable with," the implication being "take your
pick."

My question is: Which do you prefer? I've always wondered that. And
furthermore, why the two names? Were people grossly mispronouncing
'Reinhard'?

Of course, lazy American that I am, I opt for Ron...

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Latha math, a Uilleam!

Na can an còrr!  All right already.  Apparently some inquiring minds really
need to know ...  So here it is.

It has nothing to do with "Ronald" (nor with "Raghnaill"), and I don't want
to be called that.  "Ron" is a name that was given to me by a teacher when,
at a very tender age, I attended Hebrew school in Israel.  Most students
(from all over the world) already had synagogical names and used those in
class (in which no language other than Hebrew was permitted).  Some did not
or refused to and were called by Hebraicized versions of their everyday
(English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Russian or Arabic)
names.  I was the only "goy" in the bunch and the only German to boot.  The
teacher decided that "Reinhard" wasn't quite "kosher" around there, if you
pardon a poor pun.  She suggested the Hebrew replacement name "Ron"
(biblical spelling רן, nowadays often written רון), probably because it
follows the pattern "R...n."  I happened to like it, in great part because
in biblical contexts it connotes ideas like "song," "cry of joy" and
"jubilation."  This is how I got known around there.  I stayed in touch with
several of my British, American, Canadian and Australian friends who knew me
by that name and outside Israel introduced me to others by that name.  And
the rest is history.

I'm not sure which name I prefer to be called by.  Much depends on context
(including linguistic context) and relationship, and I leave it up to folks
to choose whichever they prefer.  "Reinhard" is all right (and I like it's
original meaning at least -- Raginhart "strong counsel(or)" -- no matter how
inapt), as long as people spell it that way, and not "Rheinhardt" or other
such exotic permutations satisfying Germanophile or Teutonophile (or in some
cases -phobic) predilection.

Uill, sin agad e.  I hope this settles it once and for all.  Thanks for
caring.

Cheerie!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.:
> Of course, lazy American that I am, I opt for Ron...
'N aire!  Gabh air do shocair!  Self-disparagement may have its place, but I
hope you don't mean this as general characterization.  Tsk-tsk!  Probably
you meant "lazy" specifically with regard to dealing with foreign languages
and names.