LL-L "Language policies" 2003.10.22 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 22 19:29:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.OCT.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2003.10.22 (06) [E/French]

Uilleam Mhic Sheumais said:

"It's a legal loophole, yes, but it's an extremely insulting one (IMO). I
don't know
if it's comparable to you, but it seems analogous to Low Saxon being called
a variety of German in order to make it more acceptable legally, or Scots
being called a variety of English. So, in essence, I think there needs to be
an amendment to the French constitution. As far as I can tell, it's rather
offensive."

I'm not so sure that the analogy is that apposite, since reasonable people
can reasonably disagree about the status of Scots vis-a-vis English,
depending
on time and place.  In the French case, I think it's the Government which is
left looking ridiculous, since educated people know that Breton, Alsatian,
and particularly Basque, aren't at all like French.  The old story of the
Emperor's new clothes or the way that early modern English kings called
themselves "King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland" springs to mind.

There are, of course, questions on which reasonable people may not
reasonably disagree.  Here in Northern Ireland, political bias very often
influences
people's view of Scots.  On the Nationalist side, people claim that Scots is
only "an accent" or that it is the product of a Gaelic substratum in the
same
way as Hiberno-English.  The other daft idea, which is sadly assuming the
guise of orthodoxy, is that Ulster Scots is a language separate from Scots,
though the biggest barrier to comprehension between Scots-speakers from
Scotland
and Ulster really is accent.

--
All the best,

Gavin

Gavin Falconer

Belfast: 02890 657935
Dublin: 00353 (0)1 831 9089
Work: 00353 (0)1 618 3386
Mobile: 0779 173 0627
Fax:  001 954 301 7991

"Wovon man nicht reden kann, darüber muss man
schweigen."