LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.10.29 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 31 00:57:02 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Translation"

Hello, Ron !

> * "Bracken (fern)" or "brake," in the translations generalized, is a
> "cosmopolitan," tall type of fern, _Pteridium aquilinum_, Afrikaans
> _adelaarsvaring_, Dutch _adelaarsvaren_, Lowlands Saxon
> *_Aadlerfa(a)rn_?, German _Adler(saum)farn_, _(großer) Waldfarn_,
> _Johanniswurz_, _Jesus-Christwurz_, Danish _ørnebregne_, Norwegian
> _einstape_, Swedish _(slok)örnbräken_, Icelandic _burkni_, Manx _renniagh
> vooar_, Gaelic _roineach_, Welsh _rhedyn ungoes_, Cornish _grüglon_,
French
> _fougère aigle_, Italian _felce aquilina_, Catalan _falguera_, Castilian
> _helecho común_, Galician _fento común_, Portuguese
_samambaia(-do-campo)_,
> Finnish _sananjalka_, Estonian _kilpjalg_, Hungarian _saspáfrány_, Polish
> _orlica pospolita_, Czech _orličník obyčajný_, Russian _орляк
обыкновенный_,
> Bulgarian _орлова папрат_, Latvian _ērgļpaparde_, Greek _επικοινωνία
φτέρη_,
> Basque _iratze arrunta_, Georgian _გვიმ  _, Farsi سرخس, Arabic سرخس,
Hebrew
> אבר  ת ה  ר, Indonesian _tanaman pakis_,Vietnamese _danh từ_,Chinese 巒大蕨,
> 蕨貓草, 山鳳尾, Japanese ワラビ, Korean   리.

Eastern Friesland Low Saxon uses as a generalizing word for ferns:
_adderkrūd_ (snake's herb)

Greetings
Holger

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Moyen, Holger!

> Eastern Friesland Low Saxon uses as a generalizing word for ferns:
> _adderkrūd_ (snake's herb)

Also in other dialects, hence the general use of _snakenkruud_ ("snake
weed") in my translation.  (I assume fern got these names because snakes can
and will hide underneath its frond canope.)

Cheers!