LL-L "Introduction" 2003.10.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 31 16:09:20 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.OCT.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Patrick von Suskil <pvon1332 at hotmail.com>
Subject: I am new to Lowlands and I have just a few questions...

To whom it may concern,

I'm a student of German and along with that, I'm interested in practically
every language that comes from a person's mouth. I am just wondering if
everyone here has been educated before in these topics, i.e. translation, or
lowland languages. I'm still a novice, but I would like to do some
translating (German-English) and learning about anything that has to deal
with linguistics, I find interesting. I'm not sure what I have to offer to
this group, but hopefully something will come soon!

Has anyone looked into Ebonics? I saw Appalachian on the website for English
and thought it was the greatest, coming from North Carolina, about 4 hours
away from the Appaliachian mountains. I've been seraching for English
dialects&languages and Ebonics has come to mind...

Yours,
John Patrick von Suskil
USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Introductions

Hi, John, and welcome!  Nice to meet you.

Bear in mind that German does not belong to the focus of this group.
However, it is featured marginally quite often, as you no doubt noticed
since you joined us.

We talked about Ebonics quite a while back, which does not mean that we
cannot revisit this topic.  Is this movement still going on?  I would love
to see more information about African American, Caribbean and African
varieties of English.

Since our main speaker left us we have not been talking about Appalachian,
but I for one would love it to be taken up again.  I can only encourage you
and others to take the initiative.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L