LL-L "Names" 2003.09.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 8 01:09:01 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.02 (02) [E]

Hi, Ron.

You wrote:

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Names
>
> Your question reminded me of a folk etymology all my own.   I had
> developed
> it when I had barely outgrown my teens, had already developed a healthy
> (?)
> appetite for etymology but had not yet cultivated the (in Fiete's opinion
> unhealthy) habit of systematically checking etymological dictionaries.

-Hey- if I'd answer: "There is just ONE only book I do respect!"- what would
You think? People at the "Lower Elbe" at last becoming religious? Of course
I am talking about "The Capital" of Karl Marx :-)))!-

Well- I shouldn't say "unhealthy", Ron, but perhaps "unuseful" for
conserving all of our local and regional versions/dialects of
"Neddersaksisch".

Of course I do respect the German "Duden" as well as the English "Oxford".
But, as I wrote times ago, in etymological books for Low Saxon Languages the
publishers won't make much money with.
This is one reason for not being convinced about their correctness in
general.
The other one is, that many of, in special, *Neddersassisch* dictionaries
are written by laymen (teachers, pastores and people of my kind, I fear :-),
never having had any scientific linguistical training) like "Teut" (I even
know his family personly). He did very well in his work- but it was never
controlled by a well educated, critical committee of linguists AND
etymologists, as far as I know.

Why, do You think, am I engaged here, in LL-L?
Must I really explain the advantage and uncomparable varieties of this
splendid mixture of natives and theoreticals?

Later, Ron, You responded to Anja M.: ( In the whole I'm not content with
the "Neue Sass",...):

(R. Hahn): "Nor am I, on the whole."

Well, well...- but I am thinking about to go and buy "a" book, ore even
severals of them :-)!. The utmost end of my "naivity" or "nativity"?

Let's have a look on Your second subject, Ron:

You wrote:

>Back to names, folks.  I think it would be interesting to compile a short
>list of "basic" given ("first") names in the various Lowlands languages.

Frisian names used to be very
> popular just after World War II; e.g., Uwe, Heino and Frauke.

What in special, Ron- meanings, varieties, spelling?
Because- I never had the courage to pick up this theme- it is very special
and I guess it sometimes to be a kind of "black magic" to find out the
origin of names.

Regards

Fiete.

(Friedrich W. Neumann)
Not Lucifer I fear
but those almighty Gods

> >Back to names, folks.  I think it would be interesting to compile a short
> >list of "basic" given ("first") names in the various Lowlands languages.

> What in special, Ron- meanings, varieties, spelling?
> Because- I never had the courage to pick up this theme- it is very special
and I guess it
> sometimes to be a kind of "black magic" to find out the origin of names.

Suit yourself, Fiete.  It was just a general suggestion.  I had a
comparative list in mind, but people might want to take this as far as they
wish.