LL-L "Introduction" 2003.09.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 9 15:26:25 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jan van Steenbergen <wenedyk at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.08.01 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn
>
> We have been joined by a number of people from
> various parts of the world.
> I bid them all welcome on behalf of the entire List.
> [...]
>    Netherlands:
>       Northern Holland:
>          Zaandam [1]

That would be me. And, since I just sent a message to
the List, I might as well seize the occasion to
formally introduce myself.

My name is Jan van Steenbergen, I'm 33 years old, and
indeed I live in Zaandam (since almost two years;
before that I lived in Hoorn, Amsterdam, Warsaw, and
Luxemburg). Married since two months, one daughter.

Professionally, I did many things: during and after my
studies in Sovietology, I worked as a journalist, a
concert manager, a semi-professional singer, a Polish
translator, and presently I work as a software
engineer for a bank. I have two major hobbies: music
(especially composition) and linguistics (especially
language creation).

Concerning the latter: I am a true linguavore, but I
have some points of particular interest. One special
interest is Low German, which was basically the reason
for me to join this List. Things that I would like to
know more about in particular are Middle Low Saxon,
the Neo-Hanseatic Orthography, and the Eastern
(Prussian, Pomeranian) dialects.

Jan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Introduction

Welcome, Jan, and thanks for the introduction!  I hope you will find what
you are interested in.  If you don't -- and this applies to everyone -- then
please ask or in some other way initiate the desired flow of information.

> Things that I would like to
> know more about in particular are Middle Low Saxon,
> the Neo-Hanseatic Orthography, and the Eastern
> (Prussian, Pomeranian) dialects.

This makes two of us.  Well, regarding the Neo-Hanseatic Orthography it is
really I on whom the onus is, since I am the "keeper" (creator) of this
information.  You are not the only one who has asked for this.  I promise to
act on this as soon as possible, probably in the form of throwing together
some introductory web description with a view at incorporating relevant
input from others.

I hope that Lowlands-L will be useful and interesting to you and everyone
else.  Of course, it is important to be aware of what we do and do not try
to achieve and to limit one's expectations to that.

By the way, I was just told that, apparently in print in Germany, someone
has alleged that LL-L is a vehicle for Nazi propaganda (!).  I am waiting
for a copy of this and will refute it if this is possible and worthwhile
(i.e., not beneath me/us).  Allegations of this sort never cease to amaze
me, and any of you who have been on LL-L for a while and know me even just a
bit can probably imagine how this sort of ignorant accusation makes me feel.
Having such a prejudice is one thing, putting it into print is in an
entirely different league.  I have heard of such baseless assumptions a
couple of times before, and each time it was from someone in Germany.  This
leads me to believe that some people in Germany have not gotten very far in
their personal development during the last 50-60 years, that even the use of
a "technical," innocuous, universally used word like "Germanic" can trigger
this sort of over-reaction.  We might be able to gauge the severity and the
motivation of this latest incidence once we study the wording.  Lowlanders,
I hope you will shoot such baseless allegations out of the water should you
ever come across them.

Cheers!