LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 9 15:38:18 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: marco [evenhuiscommunicatie] <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (01) [E]

> > There is also a name from about 1600 in Noord
> > Brabant called Dingmannus and also a Dingeman. I
> > have absolutely no knowledge of its origin
> > or meaning.
>
> "Dingeman" is of Germanic origin. According to
> <http://www.voornamenboek.nl/Bet1.htm> a "Dingeman" is
> a "man uit de rechtszaak", whatever that is supposed
> to mean.

Dingeman is still in use in Zeeland. It is getting a bit old-fashioned, but
I myself can think of at least twelve people that I know who are called
Dingeman. Around 1980, there were two kids in my school, one was called Roel
Dingemanse and the other Dingeman Roelse. An even more striking example is
that of a farmer from the village of Ritthem called Dingeman Dingemanse.
Dingemanse being the familyname. The suffix -se stands for "son of". In
other parts of the Netherlands this suffix usually is -sen or -sens; the
form -se is quite typical for Zeeland and especially the former isle of
Walcheren.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

"Dingeman" sounds very much like "hired worker" to me.  Might this be the
original meaning?  In German there is the archaic verb _dingen_ 'to hire',
'to engage'.  I suppose it is related to Dutch _dingen_ 'to bargain', 'to
haggle', so the meaning of Dingeman etc. may be different.  I suspect that
the original meaning of _dingen_ was something like *'to make someone do
something.'

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (02) [E]

When the Jutes (the people form Western Jutland) joined the Saxons and
Angles and went to England -ing was very populair (nottingham, etc). At
that time (or earlier - I don't remember) a new word was created based
on vik. The word became: viking :) a word you all probably know.

Cheers, Kenneth