LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (11) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 9 21:01:02 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (07) [E]

Ron wrote:

>>Harderwijk (which in LS would be Harderwiek) sounds to me like "Herder's
>>Bay" of "Shepherd's Bay."  If this is correct, I guess the Dutch version

and Floor replied:

> I don't know. Although Harderwijk is at the Veluwe border, where many
> shepherds will have been, it was mainly a harbour of the "Zuiderzee", if
> I am not mistaking. "Harder" is indeed a Dutch variant of "herder" but
> it is also a type of fish...

In the area there is also a small town called 't Harde, and
the name Harderwijk could have been derived from that.  The
second 'r' in Harderwijk would then be merely adjectival.

Gustaaf

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (05) [E]

Moin moin!

As to second names used as first names: In North Frisia the sailors used
Newton or Neuton as a first name for their sons in respect to Isaac Newton.
Nowadays it isn't used any longer - quite a pity.

Greetings from Kiel,

Anja