LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 10 14:34:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dan Ryan-Pohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Dear all,

I have some more to add concerning Jutish influence on North Saxon and
North Frisian. A special infinitive construction which arose on account
of two functional words coalescing phonologically and subsequently
falling together in their grammatical functions. The Jutish derivatives
(I don't know the exact Jutish form of the word)of Old Norse <ok> "and"
and <at> "that" fell to gether in Jutish. Since ON <at> was also the
infinitive marker, much like English "to" - infinitive constructions
were also formed with the "common" Jutish "x", leading to North Frisian
forms like:

<Dât as ai lacht än snââk tjüsch.> "It is not easy to speak German."

or the Silesvig variety of North Saxon:

<Dat is nu tiid un plükken appeln.> "It's time to pick apples."

As far as I know this variety of North Saxon also has <i> as the second
person plural form - Ron could you help me out there?

Dan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Mah man Dan (above):

> As far as I know this variety of North Saxon also has <i> as the second
> person plural form - Ron could you help me out there?

Insufficiently so.  Unfortunately, I don't know as much about the varieties
of the northernmost region as I would love to (which is a shame, considering
that I'm also very interested in North Germanic and have decades-old love
affair with Danish [just one of many, I'm afraid]).  However, I have read
that at least in some of those Lowlands Saxon (Low German) varieties _i_ is
used for 'you' (plural) where other North Saxon varieties have _ji_ ([dZi],
[dji], [ji]) and Danish has _I_.  What is it in Jutish, Kenneth, especially
Southern Jutish?  _I_ too?

Here some background information about the ethnic and linguistic shifts in
the area (http://www.hum.gu.se/arkiv/ONN/1997/ONN.05/0028.html):

<quote>
Starting in the beginning of the 18th century a massive language changeover
from Southern Jutish dialect to Low German began to take place in southern
Schleswig, which, like Holstein and Lauenburg, was bound to the Danish crown
until 1864. It radiated from the area of Angeln in the East, carried by a
social layer of well-to-do's to the Low-German-speaking town of Schleswig
and
southern-oriented plantation owners. Within 50 years Low German had spread
to Flensburg and over the whole of Central Schleswig, whereby over the
course
of the 19th century national sentiments also began to play a role (language
as expression of patriotic feeling by the Schleswig-Hosteiners).
The present Danish-German state border, which with its course south of
Toendern, north of Flensburg divides the former Duchy of Schleswig into
Danish North Slesvig and German South Schleswig, came about as a result of a
plebiscite after the First World War in 1920. On both sides of the line,
which gradually is taking over the role of a dialect border, there exist
tolerated linguistic minorities.
</quote>