LL-L "Names" 2003.09.10 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 10 14:40:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (16) [E]

Hai Lowlanders,

Sandy Fleming wrote:
Of course there are "wicks" in Scotland, such as "Wick" and "Prestwick" and
"wich's" in England such as "Ipswich", "Bromwich" and "Dulwich".

Well, there are also 'wick's in England.  There is a Postwick near Norwich,
Hardwick near Cambridge, Jaywick in Essex, Wickhambrook, Wicken Fen and many
other places starting with 'Wick' in East Anglia alone, etc.  And it
features in local surnames, such as Fenwick, pronounced: 'Fennick' (a farmer
in the Cambridgeshire Fenland area).

I know that many Norwegian placenames also end in 'vik'.  I wonder whether
some UK place names have been derived from that.  I know that there was a
lot of Norwegian influence in the north of England, in place names, etc.  In
that area we find, for example, Keswick.  When I looked it up in my
dictionary, the Norwegian 'vik' is translated into 'creek' (E).  And looking
at the Norway map shows that they often are in the fjord area.  That then is
the same as 'wijk' meaning 'bay' or 'inlet', stated by Evert.

Groetjes, Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra

From: Allison Turner-Hansen <hallison at gte.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.08 (01) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

    Ron suggested we compile a list of Lowlands given names.  I can supply
one, that  of a Dutch ancestress of mine: her name was Aleta van Riper.  My
little sister bears this name.

Best,
Allison Turner-Hansen