LL-L "List" 2003.09.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 10 15:33:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L

R. F. Hahn Wrote:

>By the way, I was just told that, apparently in print in Germany,
>someone
>has alleged that LL-L is a vehicle for Nazi propaganda (!).  I am
>waiting
>for a copy of this and will refute it if this is possible and
>worthwhile
>(i.e., not beneath me/us).  Allegations of this sort never cease to
>amaze
>me, and any of you who have been on LL-L for a while and know me
>even just a
>bit can probably imagine how this sort of ignorant accusation makes
>me feel.
>Having such a prejudice is one thing, putting it into print is in an
>entirely different league.  I have heard of such baseless
>assumptions a
>couple of times before, and each time it was from someone in
>Germany.  This
>leads me to believe that some people in Germany have not gotten very
>far in
>their personal development during the last 50-60 years, that even
>the use of
>a "technical," innocuous, universally used word like "Germanic" can
>trigger
>this sort of over-reaction.  We might be able to gauge the severity
>and the
>motivation of this latest incidence once we study the wording.
>Lowlanders,
>I hope you will shoot such baseless allegations out of the water
>should you
>ever come across them.

There are unfornutately loony lefties about who denigrade anything
they can't understand or don't agree with as 'Nazi' - now if that
ain't fascist what is? The word Germanic often sporns a knee-jerk
reaction.

Andy Eagle

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "List"

Hi Ron and all

just to be in defence of the Germans - I'm studying
language change amongst the Germanic dialects in
Berlin, which include all Germanic dialects -
including for example Yiddish. I find it sometimes
difficult to give an exact title to my studies.
'Germanistik' in Germany unfortunately only applies to
dialects as spoken in Germany (this also often
unfortunately ignores Low German dialects and totally
excludes North Frisian dialects). I've found that
there seems to be a lack of labels related to general
Germanic studies. I've had to enrol in the
Skandinavistik department, and choose a 'Doktor Vater'
who's from Russia in order to study what I want.

I've now been studying for a year, and as said, in
defence of Germans, I've never heard a negative
comment about what I'm studying. It's purely through
the difficulty of finding the correct department to
work in, and giving a label to my theme that I've
realised that it is a touchy subject.

If I ever heard a negative comment about my subject I
would not be surprised if it came from a German
though, but as said, I've not had any yet...

Gary