LL-L "Measures" 2003.09.10 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 10 15:35:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Weights

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: Measures and Weights
vonnoobend snack’ ick mit miin Noober’n över aule, meist vergeeten’ Mooten,
Mengen un Gewichten.

Hello Fiete and Lowlanders,
This is a very interesting topic for me as I have a culinary background. In
Australia we have previously used the British Imperial system for weights
(16 ounces equals 1 pound). In the 1950's and 1960's there was a great
influx of American cake recipes with the introduction of new technology in
the milling of wheat and the production of special emulsifed fats. The
recipes imported into the country followed the American system. Today of
course we follow Napoleons Metric system. I have some recipes from my
grandfather for stollen and other delightful kuchen. The weights used in
these recipes are pond and ons. This sounds like pounds and ounces. My
father told me this was a measure used throughout the Netherlands and 1 Pond
equals 500grams while 1 Ons equals 100grams. Are these measures still used
in the Netherlands today? I know there were other versions of what a pound
(pfund) meant in other countries. Also during the Hanseatic period where
trade crossed the borders of many of our Lowlands areas would they have had
an "internationalised" common weights and measures?
Tot Ziens
Peter Snepvangers