LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.11 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 11 15:39:49 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.10 (02) [E]

Cheers!

> I have some more to add concerning Jutish influence on North Saxon and
> North Frisian. A special infinitive construction which arose on account
> of two functional words coalescing phonologically and subsequently
> falling together in their grammatical functions. The Jutish derivatives
> (I don't know the exact Jutish form of the word)of Old Norse <ok> "and"
> and <at> "that" fell to gether in Jutish. Since ON <at> was also the

and = ow [Q:w] or o' [Q"]
that = det? (þađ (thath) in Old Norse I expect) [?]

> infinitive marker, much like English "to" - infinitive constructions
> were also formed with the "common" Jutish "x", leading to North Frisian
> forms like:
>
> <Dât as ai lacht än snââk tjüsch.> "It is not easy to speak German."

Det'e ett lett o' snakk tysk
Jutish regiolect Danish: Det'e ikke let o(g) snakke tysk

Standard pronouncation of 'og' is [Q.w]

> or the Silesvig variety of North Saxon:
>
> <Dat is nu tiid un plükken appeln.> "It's time to pick apples."

Det'e no tid/tiej o' plukk æwler
Danish: Det er nu tid til at plukke æbler.

I always expected that the o' was related to Norwegian å. Because in
norwegian Standard Danish 'at' is 'at' or 'å'

Har du tid til å snakke? Do you have time to talk?
At du liker å snakke med meg er kjæmpe bra. That you like talking to me
is really great.

Ah you are right that 'at' can be 'that' in Danish (and Norwegian).

Now come they also have this in Norway then? Well it was under Danish
rule, but 'å' (as 'at') never became part of Colloquial Danish -
presumable Jutish-Norwegian contact?

> As far as I know this variety of North Saxon also has <i> as the second
> person plural form - Ron could you help me out there?

It used to be like that in Gronings. "ie binnen laif" (you (pl) are
sweet), "ik ben dizze ding veur joe moakt" (I made this thing for you)

but today this has mostly been replaced with standard dutch 'jullie'

In Jutish and Standard-Danish we use i, written as 'I'.

In Norwegian they use "dere"

"Kommer dere i kveld?" (no. are you coming tonight)
"Kommer I i aften" (da. are you coming tonight)
"Det er deres bil" (da. it is their car)
"det er jeres bil" (da. it is your (pl) car)
"t is joen auto" (gronings (old) - it is your (pl) car)

ie (i) and joe(n) is used for 2 person singularis in Groning but used to
be used in plural as well.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language contacts

Kenneth,

> > or the Silesvig variety of North Saxon:
> >
> > <Dat is nu tiid un plükken appeln.> "It's time to pick apples."
>
> Det'e no tid/tiej o' plukk æwler
> Danish: Det er nu tid til at plukke æbler.
>
> I always expected that the o' was related to Norwegian å. Because in
> norwegian Standard Danish 'at' is 'at' or 'å'

I have always assumed that _og_ 'and' and (*_åd_ ~ *_åt_ >) _å_ in Jutish
and various other Scandinavian varieties have become homophones.  I am not
convinced that this is not the case.  Furthermore, I have a hunch that this
was reanalyzed as one morpheme and in the said construction substituted with
_un_ 'and' in Schleswig Lowlands Saxon (Low German).

> <Dat is nu tiid un plükken appeln.> "It's time to pick apples."

In other varieties:

Dat is nu tyd appeln tou plükken.  Or ...
Nu is dat tyd appeln tou plükken.  Or ...
Dat is nu tyd appeln tou 't appel-plükken.  Or ...
Nu is dat tyd appeln tou 't appel-plükken.  Or ...
Dat is nu tyd appeln tou'n appel-plükken.  Or ...
Nu is dat tyd appeln tou'n appel-plükken.  Or ...
Dat is nu tyd, dat wy appeln plükt.  Or ...
Nu is dat tyd, dat wy appeln plükt.

> "Det er deres bil" (da. it is their car)
> "det er jeres bil" (da. it is your (pl) car)
> "t is joen auto" (gronings (old) - it is your (pl) car)

Northern LS of Germany:
Dat/Et/It is joun/juun auto.
(Germany <uu> = Netherlands <oe> [u:])