LL-L "What does it mean?" 2003.09.11 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 11 19:49:29 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: Etymology

Moin!

Well, I'm not sure if the subject is choosen right. I've got a question:

In a song from the play Cymbeline (how is that pronounced by the way?) there
is a word that I cannot make out. This is the line:

Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages.

"art" is clear, it's an older form for "are", but "ta'en" I do not
understand. I've got no translation of the play and I'm not sure if that
would help anyway.

Thanks, folks!

Anja

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: What does it mean?

Moin, Anja!

> Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages.

"Ta'ken" is "taken."  But the real problem here seems to lie in the fact
that you only looked at, at least gave us, one part of a sentence.  "Home
art gone" makes no sense.  (You would expect "Thou art gone" 'You are
gone'.)  Let's look at the entire verse Guiderius sings in this play by
William Shakepeare:

   Fear no more the heat o' the sun,
   Nor the furious winter's rages;
   Thou thy worldly task hast done,
   Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages:
   Golden lads and girls all must,
   As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

My modern translation:
   Fear no more the heat of the sun,
   Nor the furious winter's rages;
   You have performed your worldly task,
   Have gone home, have taken your rewards:
   Golden lads and girls all must,
   As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

So it is indeed "Thou art gone."