LL-L "Etymology" 2003.09.11 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 11 23:02:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: James Fortune <jamesrfortune at hotmail.com>
Subject: What does it mean

I'd love to know the origin of the Scots word "gowk". It generally means
either a fool or a cuckoo! My father will still say at the end of a
stressful day at work, "It's been wan long game o hunt the gowk" - basically
means he's spent the day chasing people / things up and not getting much
done. Gowk is a word that you'll hear all over Scotland, but the CSD doesn't
mention origin. Any ideas anyone?

BTW Reinhard - I agree with the comments regarding some sort of text to
ensure that people don't assume that this list and members promote / condone
right-wing or facsist policies. I don't think we need be ashamed of our
interests, and all anyone need do is join and see for themselves. Also, a
stiff defence could be see as "the official denial". I often think that
people that make such claims would do well to remember the words of Mark
Twain: "Better to say nothing and appear a fool, than open your mouth and
remove all doubt"

James.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, James!

As you can see, I've split your one posting up into two (should have been
three, but I didn't want to go that far), because it's important to keep
subjects apart.

This is what we've said about _gowk_ so far:

<quote>

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.DEC.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Margaret Tarbet [oneko at mindspring.com]

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:17:54 -0800, Ron wrote:

>I noticed the word _kist_.
> I wonder if this is a Dutch loanword (considering
>"Flemish" immigration to Scotland), or if it is perhaps a Low Saxon
>loanword (considering apparent medieval connections between the Hanseatic
>Trading League and Scottish ports).

OE/AS/Norse, possibly?   Along with bairn, kirk, gowk, haugh,....

Margaret

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.APR.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian James Parsley (Laptop)" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.24 (08) [E]

Ron,

You also have the transitive verb _begeck_, meaning more or less
'disappoint' or similar.

You also have _gowk_ for 'fool' in Scots, as in _Aprile Gowk_ - is this
the same word? I don't know the etymology.

ATB,
Ian James Parsley

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ian,

I'd rather be inclined to guess that _gowk_ is a variant of _gawk_
(mentioned by me earlier), thus of what I suspect to be the native Scots
version of Low-Saxon-derived _geck_.  Or are _gowk_ and _gawk_ used
within the same variety of Scots?

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron

</quote>

The Oxford Dictionary identifies _gowk_ (Scots and Northern English)
'cuckoo', 'fool', as Scandinavian-derived:

<quote>
Old Norse _gaukr_ > Old English _ƽéac_ ... - OldTeutonic *_gauko-z_
</quote>

Note also North Germanic for 'cuckoo':

Icelandic _gaukur_,Norwegian _gauk_, _gjøk_, Danish _gøg_, Swedish _gök_.