LL-L "Etymology" 2003.09.11 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 12 00:10:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "List" 2003.09.11 (05) [D/E]

Uilleam wrote:

> I should be more careful, but surely you recognized that I did not mean to
> stereotype all Germans. But the culture as a whole has, like someone said
of
> the word Germanic, a knee-jerk reaction when it comes to things that
relate
> to German-ness. I'm sorry for the generalization.

No need to apologise, I know you didn't mean it that way. But I must admit I
have become a little touchy to those generalisations, having lived in the
USA for 8 years, where statements involving "the Germans", "the French",
"the Poles" etc. were often... I can't think of an appropriately polite way
to express this, so allow me to leave this sentence unfinished. :-)

Coming to think of it, in the course of my lifetime I have become more and
more touchy to generalisations of ALL kinds, including "men are..." and
"women can't..." and so on....

Gabriele Kahn