LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 13 23:52:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.12 (09) [E]

Thanks Dan. I am actually courious about the negatives in Jutish.

We have 'ej' [ai], ett/itt (depending where you live) and also ikk (from
ikke ofcourse). I have been influences a lot by Colloquial Danish so I
dont really know when ikk are used. I expect it might be like 'icke' in
Swedish but I am not sure.

Anyway, it is pretty obious that:

'ej, ei' are related and that
'ikke, ikk, icke, ikkje' are related as well
but are 'itt, itte, ett, inte, inj' related? and are they related to
'ikke...' or not?

The same counts for the word "møj" (a lot, very)

in Danish this word in 'meget'. In norwegian they use 'mye' and 'meget'
(seldom though) and in Swedish they use 'mycket'

In icelandic they use 'mjøg [my:øg] almost sounds like 'mye', and some
other words (dep on the grammar) that reminds a whole lot about 'meget'

So are 'mye, mjøg, møj, (mycket)' related?
and are they a different word than 'meget, and its fellows'?

Cheers, Kenneth
(sorry if this is a bit off topic)