LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.09.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 13 23:58:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jan van Steenbergen <wenedyk at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.12 (04) [E]

> From: Evert Mouw
> Subject: folkspraak
>
> Whilesurfing on the internet, I found this:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/folkspraak/FSPINDEX.html
>
> The project looks interesting, but does anybody know more about this?

Folkspraak is an artificial language in the category "international
auxiliary languages". The difference with for example Esperanto is that
Folkspraak claims to be easy for Germanic speakers only: the grammar is
simplified and the vocabulary is pan-Germanic.
The mechanism used for word creation is the "Grootste Gemene Deler" (no
idea how to call that in English) of the major Germanic languages
(Swedish, Danish, German, Dutch, English): when a word exists in three of
them and has a cognate in one other, then it is used in a form most easily
recognisable to any of them.
I am not a great lover of auxlangs, but in the case of Folkspraak I must
admit that it works: a text in Folkspraak can be understood by most
Germanic speakers. [The same I believe is also the case with Low Saxon,
but that's a different story.]

Folkspraak is a group project, started a few years ago by members of
conlang. A (rather quiet in recent times) Yahoo! Group deals with the
development: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folkspraak>.

If you are interested in constructed Germanic languages (mostly those
created for artistic purposes), you might also take a look at another
group, of which I am the moderator:

Jan