LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.13 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 14 00:42:42 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dan Ryan-Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.12 (09) [E]

Jannie wrote:
"If there was a word we didn't know in English, we'd
say it in our own language, and invariably we would
know what the other person meant."

<Criostóir wrote:

<This reminds me of a visit to the Netherlands last
<year. My wife is English monolingual and was trying
<her best with Dutch in a mixed Frisian- and
<Dutch-speaking household, [...] At that point we informed my
<wife that should would have been better off sticking
<with English, because Fris. 'tsiis' and English
<'cheese' are pronounced almost identically - far
<closer to each other than 'tsiis' and 'kaas' anyway!

The following is quoted quite often to exemplify the close relationship
between Frisian and English:

"Bûter, brea en griene tsiis ys goed Ingelsk en ek goed Frysk"
(I'm not sure about the spelling here - West Frisians, please
forgive me!)

"Butter, bread and green cheese, is good English and good Fries"

I must add however, that many of the developments that make West Frisian
seem so close to English are secondary and developed quite independently
at very different periods!

All the best,

Dan