LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.14 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 15 01:44:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.SEP.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Evert Mouw <post at evert.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.14 (02) [E]

> Reinhard/Ron wrote:
> In German, too, Romance and Greek loans are used more the more "educated"
> the language is supposed to sound

German and Dutch are very related. Even in terms of misbehaviour :-)
My teachers told me to avoid this. It makes texts less clear, and less easy
to read.

> international terminology

OK, sometimes it's better to use international terminology for specific
purposes.

The mixing of latin and germanic words makes texts like a mingling of beer
and whine. Personally I like wine; I also like beer. I don;t like it mixed.
I like latin languages; I also like germanic languages. Mixing it makes them
both ugly.

A language has some underlying structure, logic, spirit, sound scheme, you
name it. Because English has two underlying roots (latin and germanic), it's
writing system has become weird. When you learn an english word, you have to
learn two words actually: the written one and the pronounced one :-)

regards
evert

----------

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.13 (08) [E]

Beste Laaglanders

Dan Ryan-Prohaska quoted: Bûter, brea en griene tsiis ys goed Ingelsk en ek
goed Frysk"  Hadn't heard that one.  Quoting from memory, my Dad used to say
something like: 'Bûter, brea en griene tsiis, wie dat net sizzen ken (kan?)
is gien uprjuchte Fries'.  Must be a different version of the same thing.

Another quote from Dan: I must add however, that many of the developments
that make West Frisian seem so close to English are secondary and developed
quite independently at very different periods!

I have realised before that there are similarities between English and
Frisian words.  Like the Frisian: ien ko, twa kei (one cow, two cows - don't
know the spelling of the Frisian word for 'cows').  What I didn't know until
I watched a series of programmes about the English language on t.v., a few
months ago, is that one of the groups of people who invided Britain hundreds
of years ago, were Frisians.

This is a quote (almost word for word), from the first episode of the series
'The Adventure of English 500 AD to 2000' by Melvyn Bragg.

'This is Friesland, and it is in this part of the world that we can still
hear the modern language that we believe sounds closest to what the
ancestors of English sounded like some 1500 years ago.  ... some words sound
familiar: 3,4, frost, freeze, mist, blue.  Modern Frisian and madern English
trace back to the same family,... Germanic family of languages... Some words
stayed more or less the same down the centuries: buter (butter), brea
(bread), tsiis (cheese), miel (meal), sliepe (sleep), boat, snie (snow), see
(sea), stoarm (storm).  ... people that had been on the move through Europe
over 1000 years, had now settled in the Lowlands of Northern Europe: Holland
(he probably means 'the Netherlands' - which is not the same), Germany,
Denmark. ... from Terschelling (small Dutch island to the north of the NL)
and the Frisian mainland, in the 5th century, a Germanic tribe, part of the
family to which also belong Jutes, Angles, Saxons, made sail ... took their
language with them.  (Later the Danes came, then the Normans.)

Groeten, Jannie