LL-L "Phonology" 2003.09.17 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 17 15:58:49 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: phonology

Goen Dag!

In my french Western Flemish, all vowels followed by "n" or even by "gen"
are nasalised. This nasalisation can make verbs like "zeggen"
(English "say") very different in their pronunciation than in standard
Dutch despite of same orthography. I know that nasalisation of vowels
followed by "n" also occured in French, Portuguese and Polish.

Can anyone tell me if nasalisation of vowels also occurs in belgian West
Flemish and in other lowlandic languages?
Thank you

Frederic Baert

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Salut, Frédéric!

> I know that nasalisation of vowels
> followed by "n" also occured in French, Portuguese and Polish.

As far as I know, in the case of Polish nasalization is not a phonological
process (i.e., /n/ does not nasalize a preceding vowel), but Polish has
phonemic, underlying nasal vowels.  The nasal color has disappeared,
certainly in Standard Polish, but a nasal consonant is added before certain
consonants (e.g., _dąb_ [domp], _rząd_ [ʒont], _ręka ['rɛŋka]), and there is
no nasal color or nasal consonant insertion if the underlyingly nasal vowel
is followed by zero (e.g., _piechotą_ [pʲɛ'xoto], _się_ [ɕɛ]).

Frédéric, many Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects sound rather nasal and
tend to have even more noticeable vowel nasalization before nasal
consonants.  So, words like _kan_ 'can', _karn_ 'kernel', 'nucleus', _kaam_
'come', _steyn_ 'stone', 'rock', and _sing_ 'sing' may sound like [k_hã.n],
[k_hã:n], [k_hõ.m], [stɛ˜.ɪ˜n] and [zɪ˜.ŋ] respectively.  In "good"
old-fashioned Missingsch, like that of Hamburg, the same degree of
nasalization tends to be heard.