LL-L "Names" 2003.09.17 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 17 21:11:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.SEP.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.17 (03) [E]

No, it's actually Tuesday that's names after him - Tiw's Day - Tiw was, I
believe, the Germanic equivalent of the Roman god Mars.

Mike S

Theo Homan wrote:

Goeidag Ben,

*TUIZ is one of the reconstructed forms of an
Indo-European name of which e.g. Greec and Latin got
the form Zeus and Deus, presumably their highest gods.

In Germanic this name is commonly known in a
Scandinavian form of some later time: Tyr.
Your 'Thirsday' is named after him. Blessed be his
name.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan