LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 18 14:20:27 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: GaidhealdeAlba at aol.com <GaidhealdeAlba at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.17 (12) [E]

Latha math, a Lowlanders;

Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra wrote:

  Andy Eagle wrote:
  Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
  waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
frist
  and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and
you
  can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey
  lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

  I don't agree.  Is there not a link with individual people's intelligence?
  What about those who are dyslexic, etc.?  And what about the words that
use
  the same letters but in a different order?
  It actually reminds me of a joke I read not too long ago: 'Bad spellers of
  the world, untie!’

I'm mildly dyslexic, though most often I usually only mess up numbers. I
don't I think that paragraph was fairly easy to read, though I had to
rearrange letters sometimes, so I don't think it presents a problem. I think
word shape does could have something to do with it; for example, "this" has
three letters that are rising (I forget the proper term), t, h, and i. So
does "tihs". But that's only switching two letters. "Hits", "tish", et
cetera, would be harder to ounderstand.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais