LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 18 15:34:05 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.17 (11) [E]

A chairde

In relation to the current discussion on Norse and
English: a while back we discussed Norse influence on
Anglo-Saxon, and as far as I remember came to the
conclusion that English is best characterised as a
compromise language resulting from Norse and
Anglo-Saxon trial-and-error interaction.

What interests me at the moment - having the
criminally short attention span that I do - is what
effect Norman French had on English. How much of the
difference between English and other Lowlandic
languages can be placed at the feet of Norman French
specifically, in grammar and phonology?

Criostóir.

----------

From: Terrence Connor <Terrence.Connor at ntrans.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.17 (05) [E]

Hi lowlanders

Almost all scandinavian words begining with an-, be-, for-, er-, or ending
in -heid, -het,
 -het, -dom have been borrowed (known as "arve-ord" (no.)from "nierdertysk"
..... along with many other frequently used words such as "bruke"
(ge)bruiken, "stå"(staa) staan, "gå (gaa) gaan ... the original nordic words
"stanna" and "ganga" where more or less deserted for their lowlands
equivalents. There are literally hundreds !

I was wondering though about the dutch word "misschien" and danish "måske"
.... who borrowed
which? Surely this is a nordic word. Noerwegian "kanskje" swedish
"kanske"(spelling?)
Direct translation is probably "may-happen" and "can-happen". Could "ske"
and "skje" meaning happen perhaps be related to "skiedenis" "gesschiedenis"
/history/ that was has happened?

Terrence