LL-L "Names" 2003.09.18 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 18 19:37:50 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.SEP.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.17 (07) [E]

> From: niels winther [niels.winther at dfds.dk]
> Subject: Names
> What does Lüneburg actually mean?
>
> The name Lønborg (or Løneborg) is for certain from before the tourist
> era.
>
> It was a bishop residence in the middle ages.
>
> Lønborg figures in several old placenames besides Lønborg Hede:
>
> Lønborg Kirke (church) ca 1100
> Lønborg Sogn  (parish)
> Lønborg Å     (river:Skjern Å)
> Lønborg Birk  (judicial district)
>
>  cheers
>  niels
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
> Subject: Names
>
> Hi, Niels!  Good to hear from you.  Long time no hear.
>
>> What does Lüneburg actually mean?
>
> I don't know the origin of the name _Lüne_, but I can tell you that ...
>
> (1) it is the older name of the place (_Burg_ 'fortress' > 'city'
> having
> been added later),
>
> (2) the older, pre-German, Lowlands Saxon (Low German) name is _Löne_ >
> _Löön_ (actually _löyn(e)_ with a diphthong), and the extended LS name
> is
> _Löönborg_, is thus very similar to the Danish version.
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi,

Could that be related to the county of "Loon". This region was situated
in what is now a part of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany.
A great part of it is now called "Limburg".

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.18 (04) [E]

German "Dienstag" is from the Tiwaz's byname, Thingsus.  In Alemannic,
however, they have the word "Zischdig" (no doubt with numerous variant
spellings),
which has the same origin as the English word.

--
All the best,

Gavin

Gavin Falconer

Belfast: 02890 657935
Dublin: 00353 (0)1 831 9089
Work: 00353 (0)1 618 3386
Mobile: 0779 173 0627
Fax:  001 954 301 7991

"Wovon man nicht reden kann, darüber muss man schweigen."

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Luc (above):

> Could that be related to the county of "Loon". This region was situated
> in what is now a part of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany.
> A great part of it is now called "Limburg".

Ah!  And there is the city of Lohne in the Oldenburg region of Germany!  And
a river by the same name!  I wonder if there is a connection.  What is their
origin?

I am tempted to connect these with the _lo(h)_ 'grove', 'woods' (i.e., with
_-(e)n(+e)_) we mentioned before, and a couple of websites I consulted seem
to confirm this.  So these areas are or used to be woodsy.

Of course, umlauting before _-e_ is predictable.