LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.19 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 19 15:34:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.18 (05) [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.17 (11) [E]
>
> A chairde
> What interests me at the moment - having the
> criminally short attention span that I do - is what
> effect Norman French had on English. How much of the
> difference between English and other Lowlandic
> languages can be placed at the feet of Norman French
> specifically, in grammar and phonology?
>
> Criostóir.

Not forgetting that with the invation of William, almost half of the
people were Flemish (coming along with Mathilde of Flanders). That
must have had a strong influence on the language also. Being the
closest neighbours (We can see each other across the Channel!), the
Flemish region  and "the other side" must have been mutually
influensing  each other. English changed a lot over all those years,
but Flemish was much more conservative. Therefore for us it is just a
bit more  easy to read things in old  English.
I just came across a pleasant article in  a book called "The Low
Countries (arts and society in Flanders and the Netherlands)". It is
from the "Ons Erfdeel stichting", a well kown Flemish organisation, and
a scholarly too. The title says "English = Dutch". It is a dossier made
by Renier Salverda, and quiet amusing! I asked the editor to have the
permission to print it on our forum, but until  this day i did not have
any response.

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
Oekene