LL-L "Names" 2003.09.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 19 20:14:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.19 (01) [E]

Gabriele wrote:

"I come from a small village in southern Lower Saxony (which is, by the way,
famous for its pottery and has been home to a colony of artists for
decades). It is called Fredelsloh. In school I learned that the ending
"-loh" means that instead of chopping down trees and digging out stumps, the
wooded area where the village was built was cleared by fire ("Lohe" is an
old German word for "flames")."

Yes, that's right - related to the Swedish word "log" - A friend of mine in
High School was of Swedish descent and her last name was "Logdahl" -
"Firedale" - perhaps a dale cleared by fire to the woods (either man-made or
a natural occurrence) after which a village was founded.

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA