LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 20 16:13:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Terrence Connor <tconnor at broadpark.no>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts"

Dag se^ laaglanders

Does anyone know the origins of the afrikaans word "mos" (indeed, at least)

As in:     Ja, jy wil mos
Or:         Die lewe is mos swar

Admittedly it's not the most attractive word in the afrikaans language but
where does it come from?

Terrence
Sandefjord, Norway

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.19 (05) [E]

Thanks, Luc.

You mention the majority of Anglo-Normans being
Flemish. By this I presume you mean the majority of
the Norman army that invaded England. How long did
they retain their Flemish tongue, and what influence
did it have on English? Did Flemish-speaking Fleming
settlers in England obtain a status aparte from the
English they invaded or did they intermingle freely
with them and 'die out' after a few generations?

And what about the (presumably Latin- or Norman
French-speaking) Bretons who accompanied William? What
influence did they have on English or did they also
disappear into the mists of history without much
input?

Criostóir.