LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 20 16:16:11 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Orthography"

> Finally, I just came across something in the above discussion that I would
> like to ask Sandy, or other Scots on the list. I have come across
> the Scots
> words _licht_ , _bricht_ (its a bra bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht),
> _nicht_, and _fricht_, [ for English light', 'bright', 'night', 'fright' ]
> but I can't remember hearing the word *_ficht_. Does this word
> exist, or is
> it just because the Scots use other words for 'fight'. By the way, here in
> Lancashire dialect people say: _leet_, _breet_, _neet_, _freet_,
> but we also
> have _feet_. In some people's idiodialects _feet_ meaning _fight_ is a
> homophone of _feet_ meaning _feet_ (plural of foot). I do remember older
> people saying _feyt_ (in Preston).

Firstly, you have to make sure to distinguish between Scots and Scottish
English. In Scottish English the words are pronounced "nite", "brite",
"fite" and might as well be spelled that way, although the diphthong as used
here in Scots isn't pronounced as in English (in Scots and Scottish English
the diphthong in "five" /fa:Iv/ is pronounced differently from the diphthong
in "nine" /n at in/).

The Scots word for "fight" is "fecht" /fE:xt/.

I agree that there are extensive and very obvious simplifications that could
be done to English orthography, and that once the silent "e" had been
eradicated the double letters could be abolished also.

I've been through this argument a few times and this is the point where a
lot of strange creatures emerge from the darkness explaining why double
letters are necessary to show stress, length, time of the next neap tide,
whatever, choosing only the examples of actual spelling that support their
particular argument!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/