LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.21 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 21 18:06:42 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.20 (01)  [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.19 (05) [E]
>
> Thanks, Luc.
>
> You mention the majority of Anglo-Normans being
> Flemish. By this I presume you mean the majority of
> the Norman army that invaded England. How long did
> they retain their Flemish tongue, and what influence
> did it have on English? Did Flemish-speaking Fleming
> settlers in England obtain a status aparte from the
> English they invaded or did they intermingle freely
> with them and 'die out' after a few generations?
>
> And what about the (presumably Latin- or Norman
> French-speaking) Bretons who accompanied William? What
> influence did they have on English or did they also
> disappear into the mists of history without much
> input?
>
> Criostóir.

Hi Criostóir,

I spoke indeed of the army.  Not the majority of the invaders spoke
Flemish, but a large number. I think the "doomsday" book could be an
interesting  object to have a study on this matter  .The Flemish
settlers did obtain a good status in Scotland, where most of the
flemish nobility arrived and settled. In the archives i have mentioned
all the possible houses in Scotland that  originated from Flanders.
I have to mentione also that a part of the Flemish nobility already
spoke French, and that a part of the French nobility still spoke
southern Flemish. F.i. the town of Boulogne in "France" spoke  "Diets"
in those days. The whole matter is very complicated.
The Flemish settlers did intermingle (like alwaeys and everywhere) with
the people of  England or Scotland. So there is little left of their
language heritage now. You can find a few remains in family names (and
their heraldry) and toponymes.

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene